welcome

Ashby posts text and images,

Friday, May 27, 2011

Springcon, Freelance Failure, Projects, etc.

Hey internet.

Yeah, I haven't posted in awhile, partly due to lack of new material, partly due to graduation and side projects, partly due to not caring.  I'm going to spare you one of those "I'M BACK!" messages, cause I've been here, playing chrono trigger.

Springcon was pretty fun and amazing.  I sold a bunch of books and was almost taken seriously.  The best part was hanging with Andrew Herbst, Caitlin Skaalrud, Alex Fukui and seeing Jim Keefe, Zak Sally, Tom K,. Barb Schulz and Rob Algeo.  I got to catch up with the same table neighbors from Fallcon, Mark Lone, his hilarious lady pal Kate, as well as Jack Phinney and his crew.  Out of my four hot dogs there was only one bad hot dog.  The MCBA is a gracious and welcoming organization and I can't wait to go back there for Fallcon.

I also drew fun stuff.  The characters from Grotto transformed by sci fi and monster mania whimsy:




I wish I had some amazing story about the freelance gig that I was hired for, but the truth is, it fell through.  I want to post some of the work I did for that project but I'm afraid of getting sued.  I signed a non-disclosure agreement.  It was all very hush hush.  Anyways, it was very confusing and frustrating and I was trying to do a little too much at one time.  All I can say is, don't promise a client a style that they are envisioning in their head that you haven't produced yet on you're own.  Oh, and just because you're given a job it doesn't mean it can't be stripped away if you produce "maybe-better-than-average" work.  A part of me feels like I failed the entire graduating class of MCAD 2011(especially my fellow graduating cartoonists) with this failure, but Jim Keefe reminded me that this stuff just happens sometimes.  So, at least my portfolio site and tenacity got me the notice of a prominent branding company in the first place.

So, now I get to finish up a project that should've been done six months ago.  My collaborator probably thinks I shelved it, and I don't blame him.  It's going to be awesome when I show him how many pages I have done though.  Word.

8']

No comments:

Post a Comment